Now that we are into the middle of October, and the weather is starting to get cooler, we will notice one common denominator – sickness. Despite getting the flu shot and taking your daily multi-vitamin, it’s inevitable during the fall and winter months to get a cold, typically triggered by a virus, that could last for weeks. Here are a couple of secrets how to treat a cold with natural remedies.
If you are living a healthy, natural lifestyle, cold remedies get complicated. They are in abundance in the drugstores – but pick up any package and you will read chemical after chemical of ingredients you may not even be able to pronounce.
I am here to tell you, there are better, safer options that work, and in most cases, more effective than the conventional drug company options.
The following 11 homeopathic, preventative and healing options have been tested and proven to work:
- Want to know a secret? The sooner you address it, the faster you can resolve it.
- Elderberry – this is a well-kept secret that is not so secret anymore. It is an immunity booster that works quickly. Aside from making your own (which you can do), elderberry is readily available – you just need a great source. We found 2 options that are said to be the strongest in the industry, that come highly recommended from nutritionists and health food specialist aficionados. They are both made by Sambucas, one is a syrup (9 carbs, 1 gram sugar) and one is an extract (0 carb, 0 sugar). Same potency.
- Echinacea – tried and true, this one continues to deliver. Research shows it increases the number of white blood cells, which fight infections. Again, look for a pure, well-sourced brand and take the recommended dose up to 3 times per day.
- Garlic – Garlic contains allicin – a powerful antibacterial only present shortly after garlic is crushed, so you need to eat it raw, and quickly. It’s more satisfying than you think – mix it with ghee butter and put it on a cracker or small piece of bread. Tastes just like garlic bread. (caveat – your breathe might be kickin’, but it’s worth it).
- Vitamin C – High doses of vitamin C are said to help kill the bugs causing sickness. It is a water-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant, and helps the body form and maintain connective tissue, including bones, blood vessels, and skin. Our favorite option? Mega Foods (this is the “Farm to Table” brand we love). It is one of the purest forms available and is made from whole foods. Sometimes too much is too much, so try to stick to under 1,000mg/day.
- Oregano Oil – Not gonna lie, this one has a very strong taste – but packs a punch. It is said to get rid of any respiratory ailments that you may have, and its health benefits are attributed to its properties as antiviral, antibacterial, anti fungal, anti parasitic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, digestive, emmenagogue, and an anti-allergenic substance. Whew. Told you.
- Turmeric – Turmeric has been widely recognized as an anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties – just ensure you source it well. Go for organic – a brand I love is Simply Organic (all of their spices are fantastic and purely sourced – available in most supermarkets). Mixed with lemon, mint or green tea, honey and raw ginger – it’s a potion in which illness has no chance. If you’d like to learn more about Turmeric Curcumin, check out, How to Fight Inflammation Using Curcumin.
- Gargling – This is a mom favorite from the 80’s and… it works. Salt and hot water, gargled in your throat. The salt is said to clean and kill bacteria in your throat and loosen up mucus.
- Pineapple Juice – Fresh squeezed, organic pineapple juice contains bromelain, an enzyme found only in the stem and fruit of pineapples, that can help suppress coughs as well as loosen mucus. Side note: Bromelain may interact with antibiotics, so check with your doctor if you are taking any medications.
- Pre and probiotics – we have preached many, many times. Get your fill and continue to build up your micro biome.
- Total package – this is a new find I just love. It has it all in one 5 day protocol. Mega Foods (there’s that brand again) Acute Defense. For any extra $5 off, use this link.
Can you do all remedies together? YES. Alternate a remedy every two hours until you start to feel better. The key is to start as soon as you begin to feel sickness coming. Bye-bye sickness.
Debra, a mom of two and marketing professional for 24 years with her own marketing company, Yellow Bloom, has had a passion for the fitness and nutrition industry since she was 12. As a working professional, busy mom, fitness advocate and passionate, healthy food enthusiast, she always wanted to do something bigger. So, she created her fitness and nutrition blog, Heels To Laces.
Debra is an active fitness instructor and trainer and has taken a specific interest in nutrition and youth fitness. Exercise and healthy eating have become so ingrained into her lifestyle, it was only natural to progress into more. This blog is a vehicle to share what she has learned throughout the years and continues to learn daily. It’s a way to communicate with other fitness and nutrition enthusiasts the latest news and findings in the industry – coupled with personal experience. Debra is an AFAA certified fitness instructor, certified in Tabata Bootcamp™ and has an Advanced Sports Nutrition certification.